Computer Architecture has a great effect on security and performance. The key components of good Computer Architecture and performance are as follows:
• Central Processing Unit (CPU) – gets instructions from memory and executes them. Some high end CPU’s are:
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X @ 3.5 GHz 16 core $654
- Intel Core i9-9900X @ 3.50GHz 3.5 GHz 10 cores (2 logical cores per physical) $899
- Intel Core i7-9800X @ 3.80GHz 8 cores (2 logical cores per physical) $899
• Registers – points to memory locations that contain next set of instructions to execute.
• Arithmetic logic unit (A.L.U) does the actual execution of instructions.
• Control unit manages and synchronizes system while application code and Operating System instructions are executed.
• General Register – hold variables and temporary results.
• Program status word holds conditional bit, should CPU be working in user mode (problem state) or privileged mode (kernel / supervisor mode).
• To access data, CPU sends fetch request on address bus.
Random Access Memory – temporary storage facility where data & program instructions can be temporarily held and altered. Volatile means that loss of power results in loss of data.
Hardware segmentation – memory is separated physically instead of just logically. This help protect higher level process’s memory space.
Cache memory- high speed writing and reading activities.
Motherboards have different types of cache.
• Level 1 – fastest
• Level 2 – 2nd fastest
• Level 3 – 3rd fastest
L1 & L2 is typically built into controllers and processors.
Having a great understand of all the facets that go into computer Architecture allows you to get the best performing system while providing excellent security.
My goal is to provide excellent information on computer hardware: Personal computers, servers, network, security devices, and mobile devices. Getting the best devices @ the best price is the goal of JBrock Consulting. Shop and see our products at https://jbrock-consulting.azurewebsites.net/shop/
Please subscribe to get the latest information on products, pricing, and features.